Thursday, January 24, 2013

The National Anthem and Beyonce's "Lip-Gate"

Are you as amazed, and perhaps bewildered, as I am, with all of the talk and time that has been given this week to whether Beyonce actaully sang the National Anthem at Monday's Inauguartion or whether she was lip-syncing? Yesterday on my way to Kent, the hosts of an NPR show where trying to tie this "scandal" to the blood doping controversy of Lance Armstrong. You have to be kidding me! With budget deficits, concerns over guns and mass killings, high unemployment, immigration and border concerns, you would think as a society we could raise the bar in focuing on what is truly important.

At least Stephen Colbert put the right persective on all of "Lip-Gate". See his commentary here.

Anderson Cooper also weighed in and actually, in my opinion, as did Colbert, raised a larger question: If Beyonce was lip-syncing, what were all those Marines in the President's Band doing? It sure looked to me that the conductor of the Marine Band was going full out. Was he faking it too? And if so, what does that mean?


In reality, who cares about "Lip-Gate"? If I had a set of pipes like Beyonce and I had to sing outside in cold weather, I certainly would have considered all of my options. It's her instrument and she has to decide what is best for her voice. So, perhaps the next Congregressional Inauguration Committee, when they get ready for the festivities in 2017, might consider no vocalists. Play a video - we live in a digital age.

In the meantime, I am going to marvel in Beyonce's rendtion of Francis Scott Key's magnificent and demanding anthem. She is that awesome combination of pure musical talent and natural beauty. What a gift she gave to the Nation on Monday. I agree with Anderson Cooper, we should simply say, "Thank you."


Love One Another - Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment