Wednesday, January 30, 2013

"Lord, teach us to pray..." Prayer and Technology

The quote and prayer below were recently found on the Voice & Verse site of Sojourners Magazine. In the new technological world where everything has to go faster and faster, I am sometimes overwhelmed by the many "machines" that are in my possession. I am struck by that last line of the prayer: "May technology serve us, Lord, so that we may better serve one another, and you." Let the congregation say, "AMEN!"

Prayer is not an old woman's idle amusement. Properly understood and applied, it is the most potent instrument of action.                            
Mahatma Gandhi

Lord, I am so often overtaken by machines, trapped by technology. Help me to find my life again, enhanced and not eroded by these technical aids. Help me to take control, at least in my heart, and put them in their place. Help me, Lord, to rejoice at the machines, and to be hopeful about the future benefits they can bring. May technology serve us Lord, so that we may better serve one another, and you. Amen 
                                         
Adapted from a prayer on aftersunday.org.uk

Love One Another - Brian 

2 comments:

  1. Loved the Gandhi quote re: prayer being the most potent instrument of action. I have never quite fully understood that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Shall I remind you that Gandhiji believed in Emerson's Transcendental power of Nature.?Please note the fact that every living being on earth can experience the power& bliss of silence. Just try when things go wayward ,to keep a humble attitude and try to remain silent. You will come to experience the power of a divine strength guiding you through the turmoils. Gandhiji practiced this method whenever there was a difficult choice to make ---- be it his personal habits or of the subjective issues regarding his countrymen or world as a whole in terms of TRUTH. This is the Gandhian method of praying and is what he refers to through the words by telling prayer is the most potent instrument of action (silence of remembering the power of bliss is prayer). Regards,

      Delete