Monday, November 5, 2012

The 2012 Presidential Election

If I had been leading worship yesterday, at the announcements, I would have encouraged those assembled to make sure that they took the time and voted for the candidate of their choice. I do not believe that the leaders of the Church should instruct the members of their charge who to vote for. That decision is between the individual and their conscience. I do believe that it is a leader’s duty to encourage others to vote; for it is one of the most solemn and awesome privileges of living in in this great nation. I assure my readers that tomorrow morning I will be at the polls early to cast my vote. I am not going to tell you who I am voting for because that is my personal business as it is yours. In the end, when we enter the voting booth on Election Day, we vote for many different reasons. We vote out of hope, or fear, or honor, or anger, or responsibility, or defiance, or pride. I give thanks for this democracy and the freedom we have to make our voices be heard. May we pray for a fair and just election tomorrow.

Almighty God, to whom we must account for all our powers and privileges: Guide the people of the United States in the election of officials and representatives; that, by faithful administration and wise laws, the rights of all may be protected and our nation be enabled to fulfill your purposes; through Jesus Christ our Lord. Amen. (Book of Common Prayer)

Love One Another - Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment