Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving 2012 - Our Humble, Thankful Hearts

The words found below were originally written in 1782 by Matthais Claudius a German poet, otherwise known by the penname of “Asmus”. His poetry was set to music by the likes of Franz Schubert (Der Tod und das Madchen). Most people today know Claudius for the words of a majestic hymn sung in most churches on Thanksgiving morning.

We plow the fields, and scatter
the good seed on the land,
but it is fed and watered
by God's almighty hand;
he sends the snow in winter,
the warmth to swell the grain,
the breezes and the sunshine,
and soft refreshing rain.

Refrain:
All good gifts around us
are sent from heaven above,
then thank the Lord, O thank the Lord
for all his love.

He only is the Maker
of all things near and far;
he paints the wayside flower,
he lights the evening star;
the winds and waves obey him,
by him the birds are fed;
much more to us, his children,
he gives our daily bread. Refrain

We thank thee, then, O Father,
for all things bright and good,
the seed time and the harvest,
our life, our health, and food;
no gifts have we to offer,
for all thy love imparts,
and, what thou most desirest,
our humble, thankful hearts. Refrain

“Our humble, thankful hearts.”

Thanksgiving reminds me that I must keep things in perspective. Each one of us will face difficulties in our life journey. There will be great pain, trials, health issues, natural disasters, struggles with family members, and even death. This is the very nature of life. The Creator of all things never promised that life would be easy. But, in the midst of the struggle, God’s faithful people find that place where we can lift up our voice and say with confidence, “All good gifts around us are sent from heaven above, then thank the Lord, O thank the Lord for all his love”

I am very grateful this year for the love which my family shares with each other. I am thankful for my wife Kathy and my son John; for my sisters and their families; for Kathy’s family in Mississippi; for my parents.

I am grateful for extended family and friends who over the course of this past year have showed me a love that is fathoms deep, wide, and like God’s love “will not let me go.” I could not have made it this year without the love and support of so many persons here in Northeast Ohio, across the nation, and around the globe. Thank you and thanks to God for you.

I am grateful for the opportunity I have to teach senior adults about my love for music and the Scriptures. I met a beautiful older African American woman this week at the Johnson Center in Garfield Heights, Ohio. She was one of the first Americans to sing at the famed La Scala Opera House in the early sixties. Now, beset with early stages of Alzheimer’s, this dear woman came out of her shell to abundant life on Tuesday when she heard the music of Mozart, Verdi and Bizet. I thank God for the gift of music and how it can touch the inner soul bringing joy to the individual.

I am grateful for the men and women who serve in our Armed Forces and today are protecting us a long way from home and in harm’s way. May we never forget their efforts and valor; nor cease in offering opportunities to say, “Thanks.”

Finally, I give thanks to God for the extravagance of God’s love found in the person of Jesus Christ whose every prayer was a thanksgiving and whose every gesture was a gift of new life. Jesus’ hands touched our human bodies and made them whole; his words touched our minds and healed our confusion; his friendship touched our hearts and healed families, communities and the world; his love overcomes our darkness. Thanks be to God for Jesus Christ. May the year ahead be spent faithfully living into his values, his mission, and his vision of how we are to live and move and bring about a different sort of Kingdom.

May you have a very Blessed and Happy Thanksgiving.

Love One Another - Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment