Friday, November 30, 2012

One Year of Blogging

Today marks the end of the first year of the John 13:34 Blog. This whole venture began when I was placed on "imposed exile" by leaders of the Episcopal Church. Blogging has been an amazing adventure of faith and a source of comfort in the midst of all of the chaos. There have been just under 29,000 page views in twelve months and folks have logged on from every continent on the globe - except one (I am still hopeful!). I have received comments from as far away as Australia and reconnected with old friends who are living across the globe.

To be honest, I never believed that I was a good writer. I have struggled with putting pen to page all of my life; since the Ninth Grade when I was placed in an advanced English Class at Montclair High School with a teacher by the name of William Macaluso who was the spitting image of the YMCA Jesus (okay, that maybe a bit of an exaggeration - but pretty close none-the-less). I can still remember, as if it was yesterday, Mr. Macaluso reading long stretches from Saint Paul's epistles to teach the members of the class about the proper use of the comma.

A year into this discipline and I have become a better writer, critical thinker, improved communicator. While I would never wish the past twenty months on my worst enemy, there have been many blessings and good fortune. My thanks to all of you who have inspired me on good days and dull ones to sit down at my desk here in the basement on Valerie Lane and fire off a thought or two. I am grateful for your support, love, and willingness, from time to time, to respond and tell me what you think - even when you do not agree with me.

I promise to keep this Blog alive day after day with interesting and fascinating thought from the world of spirituality, music, Bible study and the journey of life. There will be regular features that will continue to be produced like The Weekly Round-Up, Wednesday's column on prayer, and, of course, pictures of the Hudson High School Swing Band (only during marching season, I promise!). I have been ruminating about a Monday forum on ethics. This concept has not yet fully materialized, so if you have ideas or suggestions, please share them with me. I heard recently that the systems and communities that will thrive in the coming decade are those that are communicating, collaborating and adapting. So, your voice is important to this process.

Here's to a new year of creative thinking, opinion and shared reflection. Again, dear reader, my thanks to you.

Love One Another - Brian

No comments:

Post a Comment