Sunday, June 17, 2012

The Sunday Musical Offering - Father's Day

Today is the Sabbath. I encourage you to go to your church and be a part of the worship of God; or attend another denomination and learn something new. Either way, enjoy your time with God amongst fellow seekers.

Okay, I confess..... I am not into all of these made-up Hallmark days where we are suppose to celebrate Mothers, Fathers, Office Assoicates, Grandparents, and everybody else inbetween. In my opinion, we should be celebrating one another and honoring the divine in each other every day - not just on the second Sunday of May and June.

That said, and knowing that I am in the minority on this point, I was racking my brain trying to think of an operatic father figure that might make for a good Sunday Musical Offering selection. But there are none! Most of the fathers in Verdi's operas, for example, really are not the type of role models we want to celebrate on a day like today - Nabucco, the Miller, Rigoletto, Giorgio Germont, and Amonasro. All of these men take actions that lead to the ultimate death of their daughter or their son's intended. Now there is a cheery thought!

Then it came to me - Billy Bigelow. Here is a guy who has his ups and downs in the musical Carousel by Rodgers and Hammerstein. But near the end of the first act, Billy has a gem of a musical moment where he sings about his son, or maybe his daughter. The "Soliloquy" from Carousel is one of the supreme musical moments in all of theater (It never fails to move me for its emotional truth and musical power). The clip features one of my all time favorite singers: Gordon MacRae (what a voice!).


Since it is a "special" day, and because I admire Gordon MacRae, an extra musical moment from one of my all time favorite musicals. Enjoy!


Love One Another - Brian

1 comment:

  1. I love Oklahoma! (see? I used the exclamation point in the title properly)too.

    Just sayin.

    ReplyDelete