Monday, June 25, 2012

Cleveland Rocks! The Metroparks Zoo and Rainforest

On Sunday, I decided to take my camera and head north and west to the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo. I thought: why not worship God in the great outdoors, enjoy creation, and marvel at the vast variety of animals - each unique and marvelous?

It is a blessing to live in Northeast Ohio and have such a treasure so close to home. I had intended to spend a couple of hours photographing the animals - five hours later and 750 pictures, I was on my way home with many happy memories.

Since I arrived just as the gates were opening, I went to investigate the Zoo’s newest exhibit, Elephant Crossing, which is a five acre compound dedicated to six African elephants.  These “ponderous pachyderms” share their exhibit with meerkats, naked mole rats, an aviary of colorful birds and an African rock python. Here is where I met Moshi and Martika, two female elephants, who were greeting the morning by playing with their keeper, leisurely munching on breakfast, and enjoying the bright sunshine.

Moshi was born in 1976 and weighs in just under 8,000 pounds. The guide book stated the following about this graceful giant: “The most independent member of the herd, Moshi is the most cooperative elephant in daily training sessions. When she is spending time with the other females, she seems especially fond of Martika and Shenga. Moshi enjoys the Night Range and often sleeps outside under the stars.”

Martika was born in Zimbabwe in 1982 and has been a feature at the Cleveland Zoo since 1997. Obviously, from watching her for about an hour, she is the playful one of the group and put on a show, later in the afternoon, for the visitors by splashing around in the pool. I have always had a great passion for elephants since I was a little boy visiting the Central Park Zoo in New York City. I was delighted to see the care that these animals were receiving and the environment in which they lived. It was very clear to me that these largest of all living land animals were being well looked after.

The Cleveland Metroparks Zoo also includes a Northern Trek with a neat exhibit featuring many grey wolves; an African Savanna where you can feed the giraffes; an Australian Adventure complete with a lorikeet aviary and a baby koala bear (see below); a Primate, Cat and Aquatics Building where you can see piranhas and sharks directly across the hall from a snow leopard and mandrills. In addition, this year is the twentieth anniversary for the Rain Forest Pavilion which houses over 10,000 plants and 600 animals – the stars of which are the Bornean Orangutans. This is truly a first class exhibit and well worth your time to visit when you are at the zoo.

I was impressed by the overall care extended to the animals. No, the zoo is not a perfect place (for example, the bear and tiger exhibit is in need of a major renovation). But, you can tell that the administration, leaders, staff and volunteers care deeply for the animals, conservation, and the overall appearance of the zoo. It is a true treasure for those of us who call Cleveland home. I will leave you with a few pictures of some of my new friends.

Love One Another - Brian

It will be a poorer world if the time ever comes when children have to ask: 'What was a lion?'
 - Frank W. Lane



Mother Koala Bear and her seven month old



The decline in tropical forests is due, in part, to consumer demand in industrialized countries. For example, the United States obtains much of its timber from tropical forests. Each year, logging removes about 20,000 square miles of these forests –
an area nearly the size of West Virginia.
- Dr. Peter Raven



The jungle filled me with a sense of wonder that has never left me. It has cast a spell over me, and I always return to it… I have seen all this perish. The jungle is burning, the great trees are being destroyed and no one cares.
- Gertrude Blom


No comments:

Post a Comment