Wednesday, June 27, 2012

"Lord, teach us to pray...." Mindful Walking

As many of you know from reading my blog, the other day I took a Sunday morning visit to the zoo to commune with God and with the animals. You can read more about that experience by scrolling down below or clicking here. I spent the first hour at the zoo with the elephants, simply watching, admiring, and reflecting with amazement what the largest land animal can do. It was then time to explore the rest of the park. I decided to go to the furthest point from where I was which happened to be the Northern Trek.

To get from point A to point B meant walking a good 10 to 15 minutes up a fairly constant incline through a gorgeous section of the zoo. I decided that while I walked, I would be mindful of God. I would pray while I was in motion. All I wanted to do was to spend some time on a Sabbath morning basking in the light of God’s love.

 Hudson Springs Park in Hudson, Ohio
http://www.hudson.oh.us/
This is not something new, mind you, for “Prayer Walk” or "Mindful Walking" is a devotional practice found in many of the great religions of our world. I had tried the practice a number of years before walking around a two mile loop at Hudson Springs Park in the town in which I live. Plus, I had been reading about the discipline earlier in the week, so I thought: why not!


The park was still fairly empty so there were few distractions along the way. As I began the climb I noticed my breathing and heartbeat were beginning to speed up. I was going to fast! I paused and simply took some deep breaths, slowed myself down and continued along the journey. By slowing down (something that has always been a struggle for me), I began to see things I ordinarily would have missed – Beech Trees (When was the last time you noticed a Beech Tree? They are remarkable!), Butterflies, a magnificent bridge extending over the valley, Emperor Swans, and a greenhouse with amazing flora that simply dazzled the imagination with its color and textures.


Inside the Greenhouse
at the Cleveland Metroparks Zoo

It was here in the greenhouse and again outside under that magnificent bridge where I truly felt the presence of God in a most joyful and expressive way. Thomas Merton, in a letter to a friend, expressed it this way: "The reality that is present to us and in us: call it being ... or Silence. And the simple fact that by being attentive, by learning to listen (or recovering the natural capacity to listen) we can find ourself engulfed in such happiness that it cannot be explained: the happiness of being at one with everything in that hidden ground of Love for which there can be no explanations. May we all grow in grace and peace, and not neglect the silence that is printed in the center of our being. It will not fail us." (Letter to a Friend in 1967)

I wanted to sing right there in the middle of the zoo! The words that came to my mind were from that wonderful hymn by Maltbie Davenport Babcock: This is My Father’s World. I had learned that hymn as a child in junior choir at the Middle Collegiate Church in lower Manhattan and I simply wanted to burst forth into song. (I wonder what would have happened if I did?!!)

Sidebar: The story goes that Babcock, who lived in Lockport, New York, was fond of the outdoors and took frequent walks in the upstate near his home enjoying the panoramic vistas or fams and the views of Lake Ontario. It was said, on the day that Babcock wrote this poem, that he turned to his wife and told her, “I am going out to see the Father’s world.” With a musical setting by Franklin L. Sheppard, here is what kept playing in my mind as I walked through the park:

This is my Father's world, and to my listening ears all nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres. This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; his hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world, the birds their carols raise, the morning light, the lily white, declare their maker's praise. This is my Father's world, he shines in all that's fair; in the rustling grass I hear him pass; he speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world. O let me ne'er forget that though the wrong seems oft so strong, God is the ruler yet. This is my Father's world: why should my heart be sad? The Lord is King; let the heavens ring! God reigns; let the earth be glad!

By the time I reached the top of the hill, I was in a marvelous place – sensing a deep connection with God and creation; aware that I am a beloved child of God (and so are you, dear reader); and feeling immense gratitude for my life and all that has transpired in fifty one years on the journey. "God reigns; let the earth be glad!"

Now, my experience does not necessarily follow the steps to this prayer that are outlined below – but that is not the point. I encourage you to try this way of “mindfulness”. Take a walk with God and see where the Spirit leads you. Then, drop me a line and share your experience.

Love One Another – Brian


From Teresa Blythe’s book, 50 Ways to Pray

Intention
Taking a step-by-step walk with God

The Exercise
  • Decide where you want to walk
  • Begin to walk with one intention – to experience God in the walking. Express that intention to God and ask for God’s grace along the walk.
  • Ask God to use the walk to communicate something to you.
  • Keep your senses open to any sight, sound, smell, or taste that you may experience. Be open and accepting but do not be anxious about this experience. Let is unfold.
  • Listen to your breath as you walk slowly. How many steps are you taking per breath? Just observe. Do not control.
  • Listen to your heartbeat.
  • Listen to the sounds of your footsteps.
  • Listen to the environment all around you.
  • If you have a prayer of the heart that you want to recite, say one half on inhalation and the other on exhalation. For example: “Lord in your grace” (inhale), “Grant your peace” (exhale). Repeat this along the walk.
  • When your walk is finished, stretch out your arms toward heaven and say a prayer of gratitude for mobility, breath and life.
  • If you wish, you may write in a journal about this experience at the end. What was it like to pray this way? Where did you experience God’s grace along the walk? Where did you feel God communicating with you? What did you notice? What part of the prayer was easiest for you? What part was the most difficult? (50 Ways to Pray, pages 91 and 92)

No comments:

Post a Comment