Sunday, February 26, 2012

Lent 1 - The Sunday Musical Offering - Symphony No. 4 by Ludwig van Beethoven

Today is the Sabbath. Go and worship in your own congregation or a church of your choosing.

Since Sundays are feast days, even in Lent, I thought I would offer each Sabbath from now until Easter a portion of a symphony by either Beethoven or Brahms. I am currently working on and reading about the life and music of Johannes Brahms for some lectures I am to give next fall at Tri-C Community College. His Symphony No. 1 will be on tap for next week.

This Fourth Symphony of Beethoven has always been one of my favorites. I studied it for a summer at the American School at Fontainebleau, France many years ago with fellow musicians who became life-long friends. Narcis Bonnet, the director at the time, walked us through almost every chord and harmony of the first and second movements! Happy and fond memories of youthful musical days.

I could not find just the First Movement of this Fourth Symphony so you get the whole work! Lenny and the gang from Vienna make some glorious music here.

Back at it tomorrow with the Sixth of the Seven Questions of Gary Nicolosi.

Love One Another - Brian


1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the Beethoven & memory of Narcis. I conducted Brahms 4 in February. Have you read the book by Brinkmann on Brahms #2 (Harvard U. Press, I think)? ~ JS

    ReplyDelete