Sunday, February 12, 2012

Epiphany 6 - Sunday - Verdi's Otello - "Si pel ciel"



Today is the Sabbath – Go and worship God at your home church or a church of your choosing.

The musical selection for today is inspired by my Tri-C students who embraced my lecture last week on Verdi and his opera Otello. This is a performance from October 1979 of an operning night from The Met. I was eighteen years old and in my first semester at the Manhattan School of Music. I remember this performance like it was yesterday. Placido Domingo (Otello) and Sherrill Milnes (Iago) were in their prime. The last note is an A natural! Awesome!!

Now, if only Sherrill could shed the tights!!!!

Love One Another - Brian

1 comment:

  1. I was at one of those performances too. I had a friend from church choir that was third nerd tenor and he introduced me to Sherill Milnes backstage. Then turned and introduced Sherill's date, THE ETHEL MERMAN. THEN we took the subway up to their apt near the Geo. Washinton bridge. Our friend, Dana, bet us he could sing louder than the subway and was given a ticket by the cop at the station for disturbing the peace. I'll never forget it.

    ReplyDelete