Friday, December 7, 2012

Friday of Advent I - Loved By An Everlasting Love

Lessons: Psalm 16 and 17; Isaiah 3:8-15; I Thessalonians 4:1-12; Luke 20:41-21:4

Loved By an Everlasting Love

I cherish the moment every time I take some Holy Oil and with my thumb mark the sign of the cross on a candidate’s forehead saying these words: “You are sealed by the Holy Spirit in Baptism and marked as Christ’s own forever.” It is an awesome moment. Yet, I believe, after many years of participating in that ritual, there is something missing. There are words unsaid that need to be spoken. I would add, “Remember that you are the beloved of God. God loved you before you were born, and God will love you after you die.”

Jesus came up out of the waters of the Jordan and a voice from Heaven proclaimed, “This is my beloved, in whom I am well pleased” (Luke 3:22). Like Jesus, you and I are the beloved son or beloved daughter of God. This is truth, plain and simple. Yet, so many folks I have met on my journey have an impossible time grasping this reality. They sit in their own self-judgment unable to believe that God could love them with such unconditional love. During these weeks of Advent, the disciple of Jesus has the opportunity to enter into this enormous mystery.

Henri Nouwen, in reflections published after his death, commented: “In Scripture, God says, ‘I have loved you with an everlasting love’ (Jeremiah 31:3). This is a very fundamental truth of your identity. This is who you are whether you feel it or not. You belong to God from eternity to eternity. Life is just a little opportunity for you during a few years to say, ‘I love you, too.’” (Finding My Way Home, from The Estate of Henri J.M. Nouwen)

For today, simply embrace this awesome mystery that you are loved by an everlasting love.

Gracious Lord, call each one of us into your abundant light and life. Help us to see you daily, to know you confidently, to love you passionately, and to imitate you authentically every day of our life. Amen.

Advent Action Step: Get ready for Sunday by reading the Gospel Lesson. It is Luke 3:1-6 and it tells the story of John the Baptist, who apparently did not have a shyness problem!

Love One Another - Brian

1 comment:

  1. wow..never heard it put that way...I struggle with believing that I am good enough, or worth that love.

    ReplyDelete