Monday, May 7, 2012

Easter 5 - Monday - My Experience at a Mega Church

Text:  1 Thessalonians 4:13-18 (see below)

Yesterday was the Sabbath and my routine these days is to worship in a setting different than my own to learn more about other traditions and to listen to the movement of the Spirit. So I decided to go to the 10:00 am service at the local mega church near my home. I left with what I thought was plenty of time and proceeded to find myself in a major traffic jam as I neared the Chapel on Route 303.

A traffic jam going to church? When was the last time that happened to you on a Sunday morning? Everybody seemed to be going to worship at the Chapel. I marveled at the witness. These were not automobiles with one or two persons in them; no, these vehicles were full of people – families, friends, and full shuttles arriving from remote parking lots. What was it that brought so many persons to church on the most beautiful day yet this spring in Northeast Ohio?

After parking my car, I followed the crowd to the main entrance. I noticed immediately that most adults entering the building were carrying their Bible. Not to be viewed as a visitor, I hustled back to the Windstar to retrieve my NRSV. A very nice looking couple was opening the front doors for everyone and welcoming young and old alike. The atrium was crawling with people. A kiosk in the center of the large space was a sea of activity with volunteers manning the desk, answering questions, directing people to bible studies, passing out information about the various ministries. Behind the counter to the left was a Café where one could purchase coffee and a light refreshment. Comfortable chairs and tables were configured in a homey sort of way to allow for conversation and fellowship. If you did not want to be in the sanctuary for worship, you could watch from your seat in the Café via the large video screens. The Lead Pastor even welcomed folks at the Café during the opening of his sermon.

I chose to sit in the balcony – being that I was a couple of minutes late due to the traffic – and most seats on the main level were full. The service lasted less than 55 minutes and began with a number of songs led by a band of seven members (six gents and a young lady on the vocals). The lights had been dimmed so it felt like being in a theater. Stage lighting lit up the platform and highlighted each musician. The music was loud, not necessarily singer friendly, and seemed to draw few folks into song. Why we had to stand for the first portion of the service (10 -12 minutes) was beyond me for very few persons around me were singing and looked fairly relieved when the Associate Pastor told us that we could be seated. The main themes of the music, which were repeated over and over again, were the Blood of Jesus and the Glory of Heaven.

The Associate Pastor, a very nice looking young man, played the role of Master of Ceremonies, welcoming all of us and especially reaching out to the visitors present. He then explained that this was a Communion Sunday and clarified how the Lord’s Supper would take place. A team of Deacons (all men) appeared with silver trays filled with small plastic cups. One cup was filled with grape juice and the other with a small square piece of wafer. We were told to commune ourselves as we felt moved by the Spirit. One specific “rubric” gave me pause considering the conversation I had yesterday on Facebook with fellow clergy and friends. The Pastor made it very clear that if you did not have a personal relationship with Jesus Christ you were NOT to partake of the Communion. This moment was for believers only.

I wondered, sitting there in almost complete darkness, if that is what the Lord of Light would have done. When Jesus was feeding the 5000 did he first say, “Gentiles to the left, please; and Jews to the right. If you are Jewish, you will be fed first.” Funny, that is not what I read in the Gospels. I read about my Master openly including everyone with no questions asked. Is it too much to believe that participating in the mystery of the Eucharist could actually bring someone to know the love, mercy and grace of our Lord? Churches spend so much of their time telling folks what they cannot or should not be doing. Jesus never hesitated from welcoming the stranger, dining with all sorts of folks, and sharing in fellowship with all whom he came in contact with.

Now, I suppose that I could be criticized for being a bit over sensitive on this issue, but it comes out of my life experience. When I was in college working at a Community Association in the Poconos, one of the lifeguards who worked under my direction was killed in a senseless motorcycle accident. It was horrible and many of the young people on staff and in the greater community were distraught. The funeral service was held at the local Roman Catholic Church near Hawley. If I close my eyes, I can still feel the emotional weight of that day. There were people of all faiths grieving over the loss of a bright young life, trying to make sense of what was incomprehensible. At the Eucharist, the priest stood in the center aisle and said: “At today’s Requiem Mass, only Catholics are welcomed to receive.” He turned around and proceeded to the altar. I wanted to scream!

Back at the Chapel. Once Communion had taken place, the offering was asked. Again, the Associate Pastor indicated that if you were a visitor, you were excused from placing anything in the plate – The Chapel’s way of saying welcome. I gave anyway because that is my custom and one way of returning thanks to God.

At this point, it was time for the sermon/talk/lesson. The musicians walked off the platform and disappeared backstage never to return. I found that strange. Had they heard the sermon before? Were they on a break before the 11:00 am service? From a visitor’s point of view it looked and felt odd that everybody vacated the stage before the sermon. The lights in the sanctuary were raised just a bit now so the congregation could take notes which we were encouraged to do.

The Lead Pastor, Joe, is in the midst of a 12 week sermon series entitled What the Bible Teaches About Everything. The installment yesterday looked at the way God still speaks or is revealed through the Scriptures. Joe is an engaging speaker and spoke without notes for what seemed to be about thirty minutes. I agreed with much that he had to say about the Bible, using 2 Timothy 3, that the Scriptures are a gift that teach, rebuke, correct and train the disciple in righteousness. It was a fairly straightforward understanding of the nature of God’s Word.

The sermon time felt more like a Formation Class were the pastor was teaching the basics to those assembled. I am not sure that I left Church yesterday with a sense of the good news of resurrection. Challenged or motivated to open my Bible and learn from it? Yes. Understanding why the Bible is so important to the life of a Christian? For sure. But, what about the message of Jesus and his way of abundant life?

The sermon closed with a brief prayer. The congregation was asked to stand and receive the blessing. Church was over. No closing hymn. No dismissal. I was taken back by how quickly the service ended and in such a matter of fact style. The pastor stood on the steps leading to the platform and greeted those who wished to speak with him. Another service was beginning in less than five minutes so Joe was unable to greet everybody.

On the way out, I decided to stop at the Kiosk and asked for general information about the ministries of the Chapel. Having gathered a plethora of brochures and materials I made my way to parking lot and the short ride home.

Observations…. What the Chapel does for Sunday morning worship, they do very well. A person may not agree with everything that is being said or sung, but you cannot argue that the service is led in a very professional manner: screens change fluidly, there is an uninterrupted flow; the leaders, sound techs, production team, ushers, and musicians all know their role and accomplish their task with excellence. The Worship Team is there to serve others in the Lord’s Name. Brochures, bulletins, and informational materials are of the highest quality, in color, and clearly articulate the mission of the church.

Yet, twenty-four later, I am left pondering questions. Is a theater like setting conducive to worship of God? Is liturgy a spectator sport or the work of all those assembled? What if I disagree with what the Pastor was preaching about or what he believes to be true? I do not think it was intentional, but as the service progressed I felt I was being asked to leave my mind at the door and let the leaders tell me what and why I should believe.

Finally there was the question of the absence of any women in a leadership role in worship. It appeared to be a male dominated system. Now, in fairness there were women serving as greeters, at the Kiosk asking members to sign on for a family work day, behind the counter at the Café and selling books and tapes at the store. But, with the exception of the young lady on vocals in the band, there were no women in any worship roles. I looked around at the ladies seated near me: I assumed education, articulate, and well accomplished in their life’s vocation. How do these women reconcile such a male dominated culture? Does their Sunday worship experience reflect their understanding of life which takes place Monday to Saturday? If not, why not, and why do they put up with it?  

The Chapel in Hudson certainly is engaged in ministry for God. I give thanks for all that they are doing in regards to evangelism and planting new Christian communities in our area. They also have a great sense of mission – locally, nationally, and internationally that many churches in my tradition could learn from. There are many ways to worship the Lord of Life – thank God for the abundance of variety.

Love One Another – Brian


Meeting the Requirements
Rick Warren

And I would just say to that - the reality is that most members of typical churches could not join Saddleback because they would not be willing to meet the requirements. We have very strong standards for requirements. They're pretty tough, and we're not interested in the big membership; we're interested in turning an audience into an army and mobilizing it for good.

Source: Pew Forum, Myths of the Modern Mega Church, 2005, Transcript

1 Thessalonians 4:13-18
But we do not want you to be uninformed, brothers and sisters, about those who have died, so that you may not grieve as others do who have no hope. For since we believe that Jesus died and rose again, even so, through Jesus, God will bring with him those who have died. For this we declare to you by the word of the Lord, that we who are alive, who are left until the coming of the Lord, will by no means precede those who have died. For the Lord himself, with a cry of command, with the archangel’s call and with the sound of God’s trumpet, will descend from heaven, and the dead in Christ will rise first. Then we who are alive, who are left, will be caught up in the clouds together with them to meet the Lord in the air; and so we will be with the Lord for ever. Therefore encourage one another with these words.

1 comment:

  1. Very interesting, Brian. I enjoyed reading, and it has caused some important thought processing on my part.....
    Peace,
    Kirsten

    ReplyDelete