Friday, April 13, 2012

Easter Friday - A Healing In Jerusalem

Text: Luke 24:1-12 (see below)

“At early dawn, they came to the tomb.”

When I first traveled to Israel I was in awe of the sights, the sounds, the smells, the land, the people… well, everything! It is like no other place in the world. The Holy City of Jerusalem is the only city that can boast of a church that has an empty tomb in it!


The Dome of the Church of the Resurrection in Jerusalem
panoramio.com
The Church of the Resurrection (Eastern Tradition) or Church of the Holy Sepulcher (Western Tradition) is an amazing architectural conglomeration of Chapels, Rotunda, Edicule, Basilica, altars, arches, dome and stairwells all built over a first century limestone quarry.  Today The Church serves as the headquarters of the Greek Orthodox Patriarch of Jerusalem. Control of the building is shared by a number of families in a most complicated arrangement that has been in place for many centuries. This is the spiritual home for the Eastern Orthodox, Oriental Orthodox and Roman Catholic Churches. I have been told that under such a complicated arrangement of ownership, the changing of even a single light bulb is truly an “act of God”!

All that aside, the best time to visit the Church of the Resurrection is “at early dawn” – as soon as the doors are unlocked – about 4:30 or 5:00 am. My daily routine while staying at Saint George’s College was to walk down Saladin Street towards The Damascus Gate. Before entering the Old City, I would purchase some freshly baked sesame bread from a local vendor – eating on my way.

Old City of Jerusalem
peanutbutternomads.com
Once through Damascus Gate, you head down the steps with the Christian Quarter on your right and the Muslim Quarter on your left. At the fork in the road, you head to your right on Suq Khan Ez-Zeit and begin to pass the numerous closed meat markets, sweet shops, and other boutiques. The swells at that time of the morning are not always pleasant but you don’t really care for your destination still awaits you in another quarter mile or so.

After crossing the Via Dolorosa, you take the second right and the next immediate right onto Suq al-Dabbagha Road. Passing through an arch you are now on Saint Helena Street and standing on the Parvis in front of the Church. The sun is beginning to rise over the great dome. It is very quiet and you are glad that you have made the effort to be up so early.

Once inside the Church, I make a decision to go and pray in one of the many different chapels that the Church offers to pilgrims. This is the story of my time in the Chapel of the Holy Prison. This small worship space can be found at the east end of the north aisle (see the map below – it is located at the top of the pictures near the Arches of the Virgin Mary).



On that particular morning I had come with a friend and we decided to spend an hour in prayer scattered through the many chapels in the Church. I decided to venture into the Chapel of the Holy Prison. According to a 12th-century tradition, Jesus was housed here with the two thieves before the Crucifixion. The first known mention of this is in the 8th century, by Epiphanius the Monk. Historically, the chapel probably originated as a liturgical station where the Passion and Death of Christ were commemorated.

When I entered the Chapel I could see that I was not alone. Two persons, a man and a woman, of African decent, were kneeling in front of the altar. They did not notice my entry as I took a spot on the floor at the rear of the Chapel, closed my eyes and began to center myself. Silence fell over the three of us and for at least ten minutes, or so, it was blissfully calm.

Entrance to the Chapel of the Holy Prison
bibleplaces.org
Then things began to happen near the altar. The woman began to pray out load. While I could not understand a word of what she was saying, it startled me out of my rhythm. I opened my eyes to see what was going on. The woman had laid her hands on the man’s shoulders and it appeared, from her tone of voice, that she was invoking the presence of God. As the petitions continued, her voice and tone grew more intense. Like a New Yorker on a Subway train when confronted by an odd situation, I looked the other way and finally closed my eyes invoking the Lord’s presence for an entirely different reason!

The prayers grew more and more intense and finally the man joined in what sounded like gibberish yet the emotions were raw and real. This man was suffering and appeared to be possessed either emotionally or physically. From what I could ascertain from listening to all of this heightened prayer was that the woman was present to offer some sort of healing for whatever ailment the man had come under. She had laid her hands on this guy and was not going to stop praying until the Lord had answered her appeals.

This went on for what seemed like an eternity and I felt as if my body had become affixed to the floor. I wanted to escape but was caught up in this moment of struggle between the powers of light and darkness. At this point my prayers were concerned with the healing of this man, protection from the enemy, and the power of God to be made manifest. Three people who had never met, never even noticed the other, were now united in a state of intercession that was fighting for the very soul of an individual.

Finally, something was said by the man and repeated by the woman (I did not dare open my eyes – I was too frightened to look) which seemed to break the conflict. The tone of the verbal prayers began to subside. In their own native tongue you could detect the tenor of thanksgiving and praise. They both began to cry as they prayed. I was crying as well. A healing had occurred and two souls were once again reunited.

At last, there was silence. This time an awesome silence, the kind of slience that transcends time and space. God was present in that prison on that very early morn – new life had risen out of the ashes of bondage, sin and death.

The Parvis
pbase.com
Having the courage to get up and leave the Chapel, I am confident that those two dear souls never noticed me go on my way. Drained from my experience, I met my friend outside the Church waiting for me in the Parvis. He looked at me quizzically and asked, “You look like you just saw the Devil?” Utterly amazed at his question, I responded, “You have no idea!”

We walked back to the College, this time through The New Gate, in silence.

There are many people I know at this present time who are wrestling with their problems and desire resolution to many concerns and issues. Loved ones are ill; family members are in crisis; friends are trying to overcome addictions; congregations are divided; people are in need. God’s grace is sufficient in every situation we face if we will call upon the Lord and ask for healing, direction, and compassion. Easter comes only through the ashes and turmoil of Good Friday. There is no other way. But, the good news is that Easter still triumphs!

I have no idea what happened to my two friends whom I encountered in Jerusalem that early morn. I am only confident in the knowledge that the Lord freed one of them from bondage and led him to new life. I have prayed often for that individual interceding that he still knows the joy of resurrection and recovery.

Love One Another - Brian


A Dialogue of Self and Soul
W. B. Yeats

I am content to follow to its source
Every event in action or in thought;
Measure the lot; forgive myself the lot!
When such as I cast out remorse
So great a sweetness flows into the breast
We must laugh and we must sing,
We are blest by everything,
Everything we look upon is blest.

Source: Dancing With Joy edited by Roger Housden

Luke 24:1-12
But on the first day of the week, at early dawn, they came to the tomb, taking the spices that they had prepared. They found the stone rolled away from the tomb, but when they went in, they did not find the body. While they were perplexed about this, suddenly two men in dazzling clothes stood beside them. The women were terrified and bowed their faces to the ground, but the men* said to them, ‘Why do you look for the living among the dead? He is not here, but has risen. Remember how he told you, while he was still in Galilee, that the Son of Man must be handed over to sinners, and be crucified, and on the third day rise again.’ Then they remembered his words, and returning from the tomb, they told all this to the eleven and to all the rest. Now it was Mary Magdalene, Joanna, Mary the mother of James, and the other women with them who told this to the apostles. But these words seemed to them an idle tale, and they did not believe them. But Peter got up and ran to the tomb; stooping and looking in, he saw the linen cloths by themselves; then he went home, amazed at what had happened.

No comments:

Post a Comment