Thursday, April 26, 2012

Easter 3 - Thursday - Two Favorite Prayers

Text: Colossians 1:24-2:7 (see below)

Continuing my reflections on prayer and the spiritual life, here are two of my favorite prayers that have brought me serenity, blessing, and closeness to God. The prayer by Saint Teresa is especially meaningful during these difficult days.


Let nothing upset you,
Let nothing startle you,
All things pass,
God does not change.
Patience wins all it seeks.
Whoever has God lacks nothing
God alone is enough.

Teresa of Avila
(1515-1582)


Be
Silent,
Still, Aware
For there in your own heart
The Spirit is at prayer
Listen and Learn
Open and Find
Heartwisdom
Christ

Salisbury Cathedral
(1988)

What are your favorite prayers, thanksgivings or adorations? Leave a comment and share your spiritual offerings with others.

On another note…. I am thinking of beginning a new series for the John 13:34 Blog entitled “Ask a….” For example, a dear friend of mine is a Roman Catholic nun. If you could pose to a nun any question you wanted to learn more about what nuns do or believe, what would you ask? If I gather enough questions, I will encourage my friend to respond. Thanks for your help.

Love One Another – Brian


Welcome Change
Emmett Fox

"Welcome any change that comes into any phase in your life; insist that it is going to turn out for the better – and it will. See the Angel of God in it, and the Angel of God will make all things new."

Source: Verse and Voice


Colossians 1:24-2:7
I am now rejoicing in my sufferings for your sake, and in my flesh I am completing what is lacking in Christ’s afflictions for the sake of his body, that is, the church. I became its servant according to God’s commission that was given to me for you, to make the word of God fully known, the mystery that has been hidden throughout the ages and generations but has now been revealed to his saints. To them God chose to make known how great among the Gentiles are the riches of the glory of this mystery, which is Christ in you, the hope of glory. It is he whom we proclaim, warning everyone and teaching everyone in all wisdom, so that we may present everyone mature in Christ. For this I toil and struggle with all the energy that he powerfully inspires within me. For I want you to know how much I am struggling for you, and for those in Laodicea, and for all who have not seen me face to face. I want their hearts to be encouraged and united in love, so that they may have all the riches of assured understanding and have the knowledge of God’s mystery, that is, Christ himself, in whom are hidden all the treasures of wisdom and knowledge. I am saying this so that no one may deceive you with plausible arguments. For though I am absent in body, yet I am with you in spirit, and I rejoice to see your morale and the firmness of your faith in Christ. As you therefore have received Christ Jesus the Lord, continue to live your lives in him, rooted and built up in him and established in the faith, just as you were taught, abounding in thanksgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment