Thursday, January 12, 2012

Epiphany 1 - Thursday - Feast of Aelred of Rievaulx

Text: Philippians 2:1-4 (see below) 

In today’s post, I want to address an issue of leadership that concerns me greatly and one that I see more and more not only in the church but throughout the culture. The issue is the leader who hides.

Jean Vanier in his book, Community and Growth provides wisdom on this important concept. He writes that people in authority “are in danger of throwing up barriers between themselves and those for whom they are responsible. They give the impression that they are always busy. They impress others with the size of their car or their office. They give the impression that they are superior, or at least the most important person around. These leaders are afraid and create fear in others. They keep their distance because they are insecure. Truly responsible people are open to others….They do not hide in their offices, and so stay vulnerable to criticism. People in authority should always stay close to those for whom they are responsible, and encourage true and simple meetings. If they stay aloof, they cannot know their people or their people’s need.”

The leader of the L’Arche community in Canada, Vanier continues, “It is important that people in authority reveal themselves as they are and to share their difficulties and weaknesses. If they try and hide these, one day people will see their faults and become angry. After having put their leaders on a pedestal, they may throw them into the pit. Leaders have to be seen as fallible and human, but at the same time as trusting and trying to grow. If leaders are to be true servants of communion, they must themselves be in communion with other people as a person, not as a leader. They must set the example of sharing.” (Community and Growth, pages 227-228)

Vanier is very fond of describing community as a body. In this model, he believes that the leader does not exercise authority from above. Instead, the leader leads with others and amongst others. It reminds me of today’s passage from the Philippians when Paul writes that with “humility we are to regard others as better than ourselves” looking not to our own interests but to the interests of others.

Now, I would not be truthful if I did not confess that there have been times in my ministry where I wanted to hide. But throughout my ministry, and  especially in the last six years, I have been blessed by having a couple of close friends on my staff and in the congregation who were willing to step into my office, knock me off my pedestal, cajole me if needed, and occasionally give me a good swift kick in the ass, metaphorically speaking! (Nancy, Nicole, Cheryl, Faison, and Lou) I am grateful that these friends refuse to take me so seriously, to see me as I truly am and to have the courage from time to time to bring me back to earth. The flip side of all of this is that I had a great trust and confidence in these people and knew without question that they loved me. That I believe is a critical key to resisting the urge to hide.

Love One Another - Brian

Two Quotes on the Theme of Hiding

Hiding leads nowhere except to more hiding.
Margaret A. Robinson

No matter how much care we put into hiding our passions under the appearances of devotion and honor, they can always be seen to peer out through these covers.
Francois De La Rochefoucauld

Source: Inspirationfalls.com

Philippians 2:1-4
If then there is any encouragement in Christ, any consolation from love, any sharing in the Spirit, any compassion and sympathy, make my joy complete: be of the same mind, having the same love, being in full accord and of one mind. Do nothing from selfish ambition or conceit, but in humility regard others as better than yourselves. Let each of you look not to your own interests, but to the interests of others.

No comments:

Post a Comment