Thursday, August 9, 2012

The Chick-fil-A Controversy....

If one more of my liberal friends post a comment on Facebook about boycotting Chick-fil-A, I think I am going to scream! Honestly, with high unemployment, an economy that is struggling to recover, and an un-winnable war on the other side of the world, you would think that eating a chicken sandwich would not be very high on the list of important issues facing our nation.

This "nonsense" and "distraction" all started when Chick-fil-A’s COO Dan Cathy said the following: “I think we are inviting God's judgment on our nation when we shake our fist at him and say, 'We know better than you as to what constitutes a marriage.' And I pray God's mercy on our generation that has such a prideful, arrogant attitude to think that we have the audacity to define what marriage is about."

Okay… that is a troubling statement if you take a more open view towards marriage and support the right for marriage equality, which I do. But, this is America, folks; and Mr. Cathy is entitled to his opinion the same way I am entitled to mine and you are to yours. What has happened to the notion of tolerance in this country? When was tolerance re-defined? It seems that America has now found itself in a place where if “you do not agree with me, you are my enemy, and you need to be destroyed.” We witness this every day in the media and the way issues are debated; in our politics (look at the last session of congress where NOTHING was truly accomplished because of this mentality of “Our side is right and your side is the enemy – so we will not work with you”); and, sadly enough, in the Church.

Cathy’s comment created a stir in this country, but did you listen to the whole interview from which this statement was taken? My guess is that most folks probably did not. Cathy was interviewed by Ken Coleman for a Father's Day show and spoke eloquently about his father, the importance of fatherhood and the lessons learned from his dad about balance and family life, worth ethic, and dealing with people. There was truth in his words and from his life experience. The WHOLE truth? Probably not…. But lessons that we all can learn from and appreciate if we have ears to hear and hearts that are open to take note to another point of view. I encourage you to listen to the whole interview, less than ten minutes of your time, by clicking here.

While Chick-fil-A may support groups that I find offensive, this call to boycott the chain or to take “snarky” potshots on Facebook and Twitter leads to more reflective questions: Am I going to support only groups that think, feel, or vote the same way I do? When I walk into a restaurant, do I first ask to see the owner and ask him/her about their social/political or religious beliefs and then decide whether or not to eat? (For if you do it for one organization, it seems to me that you have to do it for all of your contacts.) What about justice issues in my own “backyard”? Do I support or am I associated with groups or corporations that are equally intolerant of others but I turn a blind-eye because they bring me comfort or keep me in a life-style to which I am accustomed?

I would like to see my brothers and sisters on the “left” who have been so out spoken about Chick-fil-A be equally and morally outraged by other groups that suppress homosexuality and which our government strongly supports. A “conservative” friend of mine, who I rarely agree with but who I share a passion regarding music and the Church, posted the following on Facebook the other day.



There is a truth in that statement whether we want to hear it or not. Where is the “outrage” and boycott of the oil industry? Where is the “moral indignation” about gay rights in other nations? Or is it that when it comes to our Nation’s addiction to oil and the need to keep our cars running, we turn a deaf-ear and allow others to suffer? Jesus was right when he asked: “Why do you look at the twig that's in your brother's eye, and pay no attention to the long piece of timber that's in your own eye?”

I have always been a strong supporter of Chick-fil-A. I believe that they have great food and some of the best lemonade around. What I have always admired about the food chain is their belief in the Sabbath and their willingness not to be addicted by the “Almighty Dollar”. If you read their annual report which can be found on their website, the company has strong (conservative) Christian values that have been in place for 66 years. You may not agree with those values, that is your right; but, you cannot argue about the success that Chick-fil-A has accomplished – two million customers a day, opened during regular business hours, a strong work ethic, and they take a Sabbath day. I have also found it humorous while reading many recent commentaries and reflections on this controversy, by my gay friends/supporters, that many who have criticized the company have admitted that even while they do not like the policies set by the organization, they have stopped at a local Chick-fil-A to be tempted and enjoy the “delicious waffle fries” and “juicy chicken sandwiches”.

The only way forward, I see, in this situation and others like it, is to sit down face to face and engage one another in civil discourse. Does your opinion hold greater value than those with whom you disagree? I doubt it – neither does mine. The truth in these matters is somewhere in the middle. The only way we get there is by shifting off where we have securely planted ourselves and consciously moving towards the other person. Healthy conversation leads to understanding. By understanding those whom we disagree with, we grow in tolerance. Meet me at Chick-fil-A some day for lunch, the waffle fries are on me.

Love One Another - Brian

3 comments:

  1. I agree with the heart of your post - that we should strive to meet in a place of mutual tolerance.

    But, as a strong supporter of LGBT rights, there is much here that I disagree with. Others have said this, but I do believe that there would be less argument if he was supporting organizations that actively threaten women's rights, or Asian American's rights, for example. In my view, all of these are equally appalling. Cathy certainly has a right to spend his money where he chooses. But I will choose not to give him more money to spend.

    Yes, there are other causes deserving of our attention. And yes, there are surely other organizations who contribute money to hateful causes. But if you set out to research every dollar you spend, every product you buy, I fear that you will quickly become overwhelmed and instead do nothing. If you try to correct every single injustice in the world (homelessness, lack of medical care, poor schools, abuse, etc., etc.) here, too, it is easy to get overwhelmed and do nothing, making perfect the enemy of the good. And so most people choose - they choose a few causes that are dear to them and work hard for those causes. Hopefully the good that is done in one affects others, and little by little change is made.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Simply put, I disagree. I have always found Chik-Fil-A to be rather offensive, representing the worst of reactionary Christianity. This statement from Cathy only reinforces that. Just like he has the right to say offensive things, I have the right not to support offensive people financially. Why is providing profits to someone whose views I find offensive being "tolerant"?

    There are lots of other options out there for (yucky) fast food. Let people demonstrate with their feet how offensive they find this reactionary. Nothing could be more capitalist, or more American.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Interesting blog topic. John and I have had a discussion about this and had to respectfully disagree. I do think that tolerance is needed on both sides and I will admit that with this situation, I need to work on tolerance myself. I do believe that Mr. Cathy has a right to his beliefs and I do applaud him for being willing to stick to those and keep his restaurants closed on Sunday. He also makes good chicken. But, when I am aware of something that I think is morally incorrect, am I not challenged by Christ to speak out against the wrong? Are we not supposed to treat others as we want to be treated? Aren't we supposed to love one another? Do I hate Mr. Cathy. No. Do I think he is wrong? Yes. It does amaze me that Christ preached not only tolerance, but acceptance. As Christians, I think we are expected to do the same. But that tolerant and accepting attitude didn't stop Jesus from calling a spade a spade when it came to the Pharisees. Just sayin'

    ReplyDelete